School Culture and Environment
Chaboya students participate annually in a district-wide survey called Youth Truth, which measures student perceptions on a variety of themes related to school. Students responded on a scale of 1-5 in agreement to the statements of each theme. The results from spring's 2015 survey show:
- that an average of 64% of students perceive themselves as engaged with their school and education
- 51% of students believe the school fosters a culture of respect and fairness
- 64% of students have supportive and collaborative relationships with their peers.
- 40% of students indicated that what they enjoy most about school are the activities.
California Healthy Kids
In the Spring of 2015, Chaboya seventh graders participated in a district-wide survey called the California Healthy Kids Survey, which measures school climate, engagement in learning, youth health-risk behaviors and other barriers to academic achievement; and youth development, resilience, and well-being. Student outcomes are measured in high, moderate, or low rankings. Results include:
- 89% of Chaboya seventh graders responded high to moderate rankings saying that there are school supports in place for students
- 90% reported that there are caring adults at school,
- 95% reported that adults set high expectations for students,
- 79% reported that they have meaningful participation in their education.
- 94% of Chaboya seventh graders responded high to moderate rankings saying that they feel connected to Chaboya.
- 91% of Chaboya seventh graders responded high to moderate rankings saying that they are academically motivated.
Alcohol and Drug Use
- 93% of Chaboya seventh graders reported that they never had an alcoholic drink,
- 99% reported that they never tried marijuana,
- 100% of students reported that they never took any other illegal drug or pill to get high.
- On a specific question regarding safety, 91% of students reported that they feel safe at Chaboya.